Pages

Saturday, March 14, 2015

I Love Robo-Calls

The hardest part about participating in elections is betrayal.  When my candidate votes for nerve gas, endorses Richard Daley over Harold Washington or signs off on the Tarp bailout, victory turns to ashes.   In fairness, it’s hard to see how the president could have gotten in front of that train.  Still, when I receive the perfect litmus test for selecting candidates, I am deeply grateful.  What are we looking for in an elected official?   We want them to have enough empathy and common sense to recognize how their positions and decisions are going to affect our lives.
Does anyone like robo-calls? Can you imagine anyone, candidate or otherwise who happily receives a robo-call?  Why do candidates assume that we are in some way different from them?  A robo-call tells me that this person has too much money and is anxious to spend it in self-defeating ways. Thank you, I wasn’t sure before, but now I am confident.  I keep a written list because it’s difficult to remember the names.  Sometimes I can just check off a sample ballot.  I’m not always sure about a negative robo-call, so I just give it a slight positive weight.
I was able to confront one candidate, he started his spiel and I said:
-You called me!
He actually tried to explain that he had the right to do that.  He didn't have a clue.  I have heard of legislation limiting robo-calls.  Please don’t, it’s the best screening device available.

No comments:

Post a Comment